Skip to Main Content
Current perspectives on sustainable forest management: North AmericaAuthor(s): Jacek P. Siry; Frederick W. Cubbage; Kevin M. Potter; Kathleen McGinley
Source: Current Forestry Reports
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Download Publication (558.0 KB)
DescriptionPurpose of Review Increased availability of current forest resource information provides an opportunity to evaluate the continued concerns about forest sustainability in North America. The purpose of this study is to assess and discuss the current state and trends of North American forest resources, sustainable forest management, and their implications for forest sustainability. Recent Findings Recent information indicates that forest sustainability in North America is not under threat. Forest area, inventory, and carbon stocks have been increasing while wood harvest has been declining. Large expanses of forest resources are covered by management plans, and many forests are certified. The areas of concern include forest fires and bark beetle infestations in primarily public forests in the western USA and Canada, and continued loss of forest cover in Mexico. Summary Despite progress made in gathering information on forest resources, evaluating forest sustainability remains challenging. Practicing sustainable forest management is made difficult by unfavorable market conditions and the ensuing lack of funding, challenges in developing and implementing forest management plans, and uncertainties including potential impacts of climate change, population growth, and changing markets.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSiry, Jacek P.; Cubbage, Frederick W.; Potter, Kevin M.; McGinley, Kathleen. 2018. Current perspectives on sustainable forest management: North America. Current Forestry Reports. 4(3): 138-149. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40725-018-0079-2.
KeywordsForest sustainability, United States of America, Canada, Mexico
- Sustaining America's urban trees and forests: a Forests on the Edge report
- Status of Forest Certification
- Methods for projecting large-scale area changes for U.S
XML: View XML