Skip to Main Content
Waste to Wisdom: Utilizing forest residues for the production of bioenergy and biobased productsAuthor(s): Rick Bergman; Michael Berry; E. M. (Ted) Bilek; Tait Bowers; Ivan Eastin; Indroneil Ganguly; Han-Sup Han; Kolby Hirth; Arne Jacobson; Steve Karp; Elaine Oneil; Deborah S. Page-Dumroese; Francesca Pierobon; Maureen Puettmann; Craig Rawlings; Sevda Alanya Rosenbaum; Kamalakanta Sahoo; Daisuke Sasatani; John Sessions; Cody Sifford; Tom Waddell
Source: Final Report: Biomass Research and Development Initiative Program Award Number DE-EE0006297. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy. 65 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionForest residues, including unmerchantable and small-diameter trees, tops, and limbs, produced during thinning and timber harvest operations can be used to produce renewable bioenergy and bioproducts. The more efficient utilization of forest residues could also help offset the high costs of forest restoration activities, fire hazard treatments, post-harvest activities and forest management in general. Forest residues have long been underutilized and treated as waste materials because of their high collection and transportation costs as well as their low market value. While open burning is often employed to dispose of forest residues, this practice generally results in substantial negative economic and environmental impacts, including increased forest management costs and reduced local air quality.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBergman, Rick; Berry, Michael; Bilek, E. M. (Ted); Bowers, Tait; Eastin, Ivan; Ganguly, Indroneil; Han, Han-Sup; Hirth, Kolby; Jacobson, Arne; Karp, Steve; Oneil, Elaine; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Pierobon, Francesca; Puettmann, Maureen; Rawlings, Craig; Rosenbaum, Sevda Alanya; Sahoo, Kamalakanta; Sasatani, Daisuke; Sessions, John; Sifford, Cody; Waddell, Tom. 2018. Waste to Wisdom: Utilizing forest residues for the production of bioenergy and biobased products. Final Report: Biomass Research and Development Initiative Program Award Number DE-EE0006297. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy. 65 p.
Keywordsforest residues, bioenergy, biobased products, forest restoration
- Analysis of mechanical thinning productivity and cost for use at the wildland urban interface
- A productivity and cost comparison of two systems for producing biomass fuel from roadside forest treatment residues
- Production and cost of harvesting, processing, and transporting small-diameter (< 5 inches) trees for energy
XML: View XML