Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Facile Preparation of Cellulose/Polylactide Composite Materials with Tunable Mechanical PropertiesAuthor(s): Tao Qiang; Jinwu Wang; Michael P. Wolcott
Source: Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 57(13): 1288-1295.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionA solvent-free route was developed to fabricate 100% biobased, renewable, and degradable polylactide (PLA) composites reinforced will ball-milled celluloses. The results show that the original pulp cellulose fibers were modified to partial amorphization through 30-min ball milling. Filling the ball-milled celluloses into PLA increased the tensile modulus for the resultant cellulose/PLA composite materials, while decreased their tensile strength and impact resistance. This method can be used to access the cost-efficient PLA-based composite materials with tunable mechanical properties. The variation analysis shows that filling content contributed more to the variations of their mechanical properties than that particle size did.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationQiang, Tao; Wang, Jinwu; Wolcott, Michael P. 2018. Facile preparation of cellulose/polylactide composite materials with tunable mechanical properties. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 57(13): 1288-1295.
KeywordsBall milling, cellulose, mechanical properties, polylactide, statistical analysis
- Effect of freeze-drying on the morphology of dried cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) and tensile properties of poly(lactic) acid-CNC composites
- Effect of cellulose fiber reinforcement on the temperature dependent mechanical performance of nylon 6
- Modification of cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) for use in poly(lactic acid) (PLA)-CNC composite packaging products
XML: View XML