Skip to Main Content
Synthesis of polyvinyl alcohol/cellulose nanofibril hybrid aerogel microspheres and their use as oil/solvent superabsorbentsAuthor(s): Tianliang Zhai; Qifeng Zheng; Zhiyong Cai; Hesheng Xia; Shaoqin Gong
Source: Carbohydrate Polymers. 148: 300-308.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptiontSuperhydrophobic and crosslinked poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA)/cellulose nanofibril (CNF) aerogel micro-spheres were prepared via a combination of the water-in-oil (W/O) emulsification process with thefreeze-drying process, followed by thermal chemical vapor deposition of methyltrichlorosilane. The oilphase and the cooling agent were judiciously selected to ensure that the frozen ice microspheres canbe easily separated from the emulsion system. The silanized microspheres were highly porous with abulk density ranging from 4.66 to 16.54 mg/cm3. The effects of the solution pH, stirring rate, and emul-sifier concentration on the morphology and microstructure of the aerogel microspheres were studied.The highly porous structure of the ultralight aerogel microspheres demonstrated an ultrahigh crude oilabsorption capacity (up to 116 times its own weight). This study provides a novel approach for the large-scale preparation of polymeric aerogel microspheres with well-controlled particle sizes that can be usedfor various applications including oil and chemical spill/leak clean-up.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhai, Tianliang; Zheng, Qifeng; Cai, Zhiyong; Xia, Hesheng; Gong, Shaoqin. 2016. Synthesis of polyvinyl alcohol/cellulose nanofibril hybrid aerogel microspheres and their use as oil/solvent superabsorbents. Carbohydrate Polymers. 148: 300-308.
KeywordsAerogel microspheres, ellulose nanofibrils (CNFs), emulsification process, freeze-drying, superabsorption
- Green Synthesis of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA)-cellulose nanofibril (CNF) hybrid aerogels and their use as superabsorbents
- Poly(vinyl alcohol)/cellulose nanofibril hybrid aerogels with an aligned microtubular porous structure and their composites with polydimethylsiloxane
- Highly porous polymer aerogel film-based triboelectric nanogenerators
XML: View XML