Skip to Main Content
SampSurf: sampling surface simulation for areal sampling designs in RAuthor(s): J.H. Gove
Source: tps://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/*checkout*/extra/vignettes/sampSurfIntro.pdf?root=sampsurf. 61 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (677.0 KB)
DescriptionSampling methods in natural resources are largely based on probability proportional to size or frequency concepts and are often referred to as areal sampling methods, because they induce an enlarged area about the object within which a random point may fall and select the object. The ability to compare dierent sampling methods is key to designing inventories and assessing the eciency of newly developed methods when compared against existing methods. Simulation methods are often used on synthetic populations of individuals with the desired characteristics of some target population in order to assess the adequacy of diering methods. The R (R Core Team, 2017) sampSurf package (Gove, 2017c) was developed to facilitate the comparison of sampling methods for forested or previously forested target populations of standing trees and downed coarse woody debris. Simulation is accomplished by constructing one or more \sampling surfaces" from which the eciency (in terms of variance) of a method can be deduced relative to other methods. The theory behind sampling surface estimation and development is reviewed along with the package design and examples showing its use and extension.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGove, J.H. 2018. SampSurf: sampling surface simulation for areal sampling designs in R. https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/*checkout*/extra/vignettes/sampSurfIntro.pdf?root=sampsurf. 61 p.
- rSPACE: Spatially based power analysis for conservation and ecology
- Some refinements on the comparison of areal sampling methods via simulation
- firebehavioR: An R package for fire behavior and danger analysis
XML: View XML