Skip to Main Content
New species of Neopanorpa (Mecoptera) from Vietnam, with a key to the species of Mecoptera of VietnamAuthor(s): Wesley J. Bicha; Nathan Schiff; Thai Hong Pham; Aaron Lancaster; Brian Scheffler
Source: Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionSixteen species of scorpionflieshave been reported from Vietnam, consisting of 13 Neopanorpa and three Bittacus species. One of these scorpionflies from the central highlands of Vietnam with hood-shaped hypovalves was determined to be a new species and is described herein as Neopanorpa cucullata, n. sp. A second new species Neopanorpa ellengreeni, n. sp. with golden yellow wing membranes and Y-shaped wing markings is described from northern Vietnam. CO1 DNA analysis of 16 of 17 species of Vietnamese Mecoptera are presented using a neighbor-joining tree indicating that the new species are approximately as distinct from the extant species as the extant species are from each other. A key is provided for all 17 Vietnamese Mecoptera.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBicha, Wesley J.; Schiff, Nathan; Pham, Thai Hong; Lancaster, Aaron; Scheffler, Brian. 2017. New species of Neopanorpa (Mecoptera) from Vietnam, with a key to the species of Mecoptera of Vietnam
Keywordsbarcode, Bittacus, cytochrome oxidase 1, DNA, hangingfly, key, scorpionfly
- A review of Erebomyia (Diptera: Dolichopodidae), with descriptions of three new species
- Memories of war: Sources of Vietnam veteran pro- and antiwar political attitudes
- Coniophoropsis bambusicola sp. nov. (Coniophoraceae, Basidiomycota) from southern Vietnam
XML: View XML