Skip to Main Content
Forests of Pennsylvania, 2017Author(s): Thomas A. Albright
Source: Resource Update FS-175. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
View PDF (625.0 KB)
DescriptionThis resource update provides an overview of the forest resources in Pennsylvania based on inventories conducted by the USDA Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the Northern Research Station. Estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized sample design and are updated yearly. Information about the national and regional FIA program is available online at http://fia.fs.fed.us. FIA began annual inventories in Pennsylvania in 2000. For the 2017 inventory, estimates of current resource attributes, such as area, volume, and biomass, are based on 4,520 (3,015 forested) plot samples collected from 2011 to 2017. Estimates of components of change, such as net growth, removals, and mortality, are based on 4,143 (2,666 forested) samples collected from 2006 to 2011 and revisited from 2011 to 2017. Estimates from earlier inventories are shown for comparison. See Bechtoldand Patterson (2005), Gormanson et al. (2018), andBurrill et al. (2018) for definitions and technical details. A complete set of inventory tables is available at https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-175.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlbright, Thomas A. 2018. Forests of Pennsylvania, 2017. Resource Update FS-175. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-175.
XML: View XML