Skip to Main Content
Oregon’s forest resources, 2006–2015: Ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis reportAuthor(s): Marin Palmer; Olaf Kuegler; Glenn Christensen
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-971. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 54 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (7.0 MB)
DescriptionOregon has 30 million forested acres that cover roughly half the state’s land area. The Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program reports on the status and trends of Oregon’s forest resources, producing comprehensive updates every 5 years. This report provides detailed estimates of forest area, tree species composition and distribution, volume, biomass, carbon, standing dead trees and down wood, and understory vegetation on forest land for the state of Oregon based on the annual FIA forest land inventory through 2015. It also includes the first estimates of annual growth, mortality, and removals on forest land available from remeasured annual inventory plots, representing 50 percent of the full 10-year cycle. The FIA program collected inventory data on 9,439 forested plots during the 2006–2015 measurement cycle. Oregon has more than 10 billion live trees on forest land that collectively represent nearly 107 billion ft3 of net volume or nearly 1 billion Mg of carbon. Three-fourths of this forest volume occurs on the moist west side of the state. Douglas-fir, Oregon’s state tree, represents the majority of Oregon’s softwood lumber production. More than one-third of the forested area and more than one-half of forest volume occurs in stands dominated by Douglas-fir trees.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPalmer, Marin; Kuegler, Olaf; Christensen, Glenn, tech. eds. 2018. Oregon’s forest resources, 2006–2015: Ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-971. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 54 p.
KeywordsBiomass, carbon, dead wood, FIA, forest change, Forest Inventory and Analysis, forest land, inventory, timber volume, timberland, Oregon.
- California’s forest resources, 2006–2015: Ten-Year Forest Inventory and Analysis report
- Idaho’s forest resources, 2006-2015
- Oregon’s forest resources, 2001–2010: ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report
XML: View XML