Skip to Main Content
RNAseq analysis of figured and non-figured Acacia koa woodAuthor(s): Shaneka S. Lawson; Ketaki P. Bhide; Jyothi Thimmapuram
Source: Current Trends in Forest Research. 2018(2): 100013. 21 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionKoa (Acacia koa) are tropical hardwoods endemic to the Hawaiian archipelago and a source of highly figured wood. Technological advancements, combined with our greater understanding of wood fiber development, allow us to use more in depth methods to study the figured wood phenomenon. This study represents the first transcriptomic analysis of figure formation in koa. Transcriptome profiles of figured and non-figured koa indicated that 19 genes were differentially expressed (DE) to a significant level (FDR < 0.05) between highly figured (HiFig), lightly figured (LoFig), and non-figured koa (NoFig) that were also involved in lignin biosynthesis, the phenylpropanoid pathway, jasmonate biosynthesis, and sucrose – starch synthesis. A total of 1,663 genes were identified where HiFig significantly differed from LoFig and NoFig at FDR < 0.05 and, at FDR < 0.01, the number was reduced to 958 candidate genes for further evaluation. Genes were further filtered at log2FC of +/- 2 in at least one pairwise comparison, resulting in a reduction from 1,663 and 958 to 341 and 221 genes. The direct role of any one transcript in generation of figure is not yet understood however, we note WAT1 and 5NG4 as candidates for future, more directed studies of the figured wood phenomenon.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLawson, Shaneka S.; Bhide, Ketaki P.; Thimmapuram, Jyothi. 2018. RNAseq analysis of figured and non-figured Acacia koa wood. Current Trends in Forest Research. 2018(2): 100013. 21 p.
KeywordsAcacia koa, Figured Wood, Lignin Biosynthesis, RNAseq, Transcriptomics
- Consumer preference study of characteristics of Hawaiian koa wood bowls
- Development and validation of Acacia koa and A. koaia nuclear SSRs using Illumina sequencing
- Development of tools for early detection, monitoring and management of the koa wilt pathogen (Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. koae) in Hawaiíi
XML: View XML