Skip to Main Content
Compatibility, development, and estimation of taper and volume equation systemsAuthor(s): Dehai Zhao; Thomas Lynch; James Westfall; John Coulston; Michael Kane; David E. Adams
Source: Forest Science
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (539.0 KB)
DescriptionThe meaning of compatibility in systems of taper and volume equations has been extended. It is desirable and possible to develop completely compatible taper and volume equation systems that have algebraic compatibility and numeric consistency among all the component equations. Two such taper and volume systems were developed for slash pine in the southeastern United States. One was derived from a recently developed merchantable volume equation (Zhao and Kane 2017), and the other was derived from the well-known Max and Burkhart segmented polynomial taper equation (1976). Three fitting methods were used to obtain numerically consistent estimates of parameters in these two systems. The performance of the systems associated with fitting methods were evaluated with taper, merchantable volume and total volume predictions, and bias trends over different dbh classes, total height classes, and different relative height intervals. The new system outperformed the Max-Burkhart taper-based system for merchantable and total volume predictions and was competitive in diameter prediction. Optimization of parameters of the system for both taper and cumulative volume simultaneously is preferable to separate optimization for taper or volume only.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhao, Dehai; Lynch, Thomas B; Westfall, James; Coulston, John; Kane, Michael; Adams, David E. 2018. Compatibility, development, and estimation of taper and volume equation systems. Forest Science. 65(1): 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1093/forsci/fxy036.
Keywordsvariable-top merchantable volume, taper equation, nonlinear seemingly unrelated regressions, generalized nonlinear least squares
- Compatible taper equation for loblolly pine
- Estimating upper stem diameters and volume of Douglas-fir and Western hemlock trees in the Pacific northwest
- Compatible taper and volume equations for young longleaf pine plantations in southwest Georgia
XML: View XML