Skip to Main Content
Idaho’s forest resources, 2006-2015Author(s): Chris Witt; R. Justin DeRose; Sara A. Goeking; John D. Shaw
Source: Resour. Bull. RMRS-RB-29. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 84 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report presents a summary of the most recent Forest Inventory and Analysis data of Idaho’s forests based on field data collected between 2006 and 2015. The report includes descriptive highlights and tables of area, numbers of trees, biomass, volume, growth, mortality, and removals. Most sections and tables are organized by forest type or forest-type group, tree species group, diameter class, or owner group. Results show that Idaho’s forest land covers 21.6 million acres, of which 3 million acres (14 percent) are privately owned, and another 16.3 million acres (76 percent) are administered by the USDA Forest Service. The State’s most abundant forest type is Douglas-fir, which covers more than 6 million acres. Subalpine fir is the most abundant tree species by number of trees 5.0 inches or greater in diameter, and Douglas-fir is the most abundant by volume and biomass. Idaho’s forests contain 48 billion cubic feet of net volume in trees 5.0 inches diameter and larger. Annual net growth of all live trees 5.0 inches diameter and larger averaged 304.6 million cubic feet per year. Average annual mortality totaled 902 million cubic feet per year.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWitt, Chris; DeRose, R. Justin; Goeking, Sara A.; Shaw, John D. 2018. Idaho’s forest resources, 2006-2015. Resour. Bull. RMRS-RB-29. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 84 p.
Keywordsforest inventory, FIA, Idaho, resources, timber
- Idaho's Forest Resources, 2004-2009
- Montana’s forest resources, 2006-2015
- Montana's forest resources, 2003-2009
XML: View XML