Skip to Main Content
Inhibition of termite damage by N`N-napthaloylhydroxyamine (NHA) : Reticulotermes flavipes (Kollar) vs. Coptotermes formosanus ShirakiAuthor(s): Frederick Green; Stan Lebow; Tsuyoshi Yoshimura
Source: [The International Research Group on Wood Preservation. Section 1, Biology : 31st annual meeting, Kona, Hawaii, USA, 14-19 May 2000. Stockholm, Sweden : IRG Secretariat, 2000].:8 p. : ill.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (28 KB)
DescriptionThe calcium precipitating agent NHA has been shown to protect southern yellow pine (SYP) from wood decay and termite damage comparable to CCA in field tests (Gulfport, MS) for two years (Crawford and Green, 1999). In a collaborative study, SYP wood blocks were vacuum treated with three concentrations of aqueous NHA and exposed in a no-choice test to Eastern subterranean termites (FPL, USA) and Formosan subterranean termites (WRI, Japan) to determine protection against termite damage. Individual blocks (leached and unleached) were exposed to R. flavipes (AWPA) or C. formosanus (JWPA) for 3-4 weeks. Mean weight loss of wood blocks after termite exposure ranged from 0.0 to 18.0% for R. flavipes and 6.0 to 20% for C. formosanus. Wood blocks exposed to R. flavipes were completely protected by 0.5 and 1.0% NHA, but weight loss in similar blocks challenged by C. formosanus were 6.0% and 6.2% respectively at the same concentrations. NHA acted as an effective termiticide for R. flavipes with 100% mortality after 3 weeks, but only soldiers were preferentially killed in C. formosanus. Formosan subterranean termite workers showed enhanced resistance to NHA treatment when compared to Eastern subterranean termites.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGreen, Frederick, III.; Lebow, Stan.; Yoshimura, Tsuyoshi. 2000. Inhibition of termite damage by N`N-napthaloylhydroxyamine (NHA) : Reticulotermes flavipes (Kollar) vs. Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki. [The International Research Group on Wood Preservation. Section 1, Biology : 31st annual meeting, Kona, Hawaii, USA, 14-19 May 2000. Stockholm, Sweden : IRG Secretariat, 2000].:8 p. : ill.
KeywordsPinus, Reticulotermes flavipes, Coptotermes formosanus, Insect control, Isoptera, Wood preservatives, Mortality, Growth inhibitors, N`N-napthaloylhydroxyamine, Calcium precipitation
- GC-MS Characterizations of Termiticidal Heartwood Extractives from Wood Species Utilized in Pakistan
- Accidental mold/termite testing of high density fiberboard (HDF) treated with borates and N’N-naphthaloylhydroxylamine (NHA)
- Effects of Disturbance-induced trauma on foraging by subterranean termites (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
XML: View XML