Skip to Main Content
The downed and dead wood inventory of forests in the United StatesAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Vicente J. Monleon; Shawn Fraver; Matthew B. Russell; Mark H. Hatfield; John L. Campbell; Grant M. Domke
Source: Scientific Data
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe quantity and condition of downed dead wood (DDW) is emerging as a major factor governing forest ecosystem processes such as carbon cycling, fire behavior, and tree regeneration. Despite this, systematic inventories of DDW are sparse if not absent across major forest biomes. The Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the United States (US) Forest Service has conducted an annual DDW inventory on all coterminous US forest land since 2002 (~1 plot per 38,850 ha), with a sample intensification occurring since 2012 (~1 plot per 19,425 ha). The data are organized according to DDW components and by sampling information which can all be linked to a multitude of auxiliary information in the national database. As the sampling of DDW is conducted using field efficient line-intersect approaches, several assumptions are adopted during population estimation that serve to identify critical knowledge gaps. The plot- and population-level DDW datasets and estimates provide the first insights into an understudied but critical ecosystem component of temperate forests of North America with global application.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Monleon, Vicente J.; Fraver, Shawn; Russell, Matthew B.; Hatfield, Mark H.; Campbell, John L.; Domke, Grant M. 2019. The downed and dead wood inventory of forests in the United States. Scientific Data. 6: 180303-. https://doi.org/10.1038/sdata.2018.303.
- National inventories of down and dead woody material forest carbon stocks in the United States: Challenges and opportunities
- Down dead wood statistics for Maine timberlands, 1995
- Net carbon flux of dead wood in forests of the Eastern US
XML: View XML