Skip to Main Content
New Directions and Common Challenges in Federal Stewardship of Visual ResourcesAuthor(s): John H. McCarty; E. Brad Cownover; Matthew H. Arnn; Mark E. Meyer; Richard A. Warner
Source: In: Gobster, Paul H.; Smardon, Richard C., eds. 2018. Visual resource stewardship conference proceedings: landscape and seascape management in a time of change. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-183. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 9-16.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (117.0 KB)
DescriptionThe need to protect and preserve natural, cultural, and scenic resources is an escalating imperative for those tasked with managing Federal public lands and seascapes. The rise in energy development activities can compromise critical visitor experiences when they encroach on settings and seascapes cherished for their naturalness, scenic beauty, and cultural significance. The role of public land and offshore management agencies involves accommodating the demand for resource development while protecting the visual value and integrity of those resources’ natural character. This paper describes how the USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and Bureau of Ocean Energy Management address visual resource issues in the context of energy development, and it provides an agency history of managing visual resources, new directions in visual resource stewardship policy, and challenges faced.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCarty, John H.; Cownover, E. Brad; Arnn, Matthew H.; Meyer, Mark E.; Warner, Richard A. 2018. New Directions and Common Challenges in Federal Stewardship of Visual Resources. In: Gobster, Paul H.; Smardon, Richard C., eds. 2018. Visual resource stewardship conference proceedings: landscape and seascape management in a time of change. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-183. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 9-16.
- Protecting scenery at multiple scales
- Cultural Ecosystem Services as Part of Scenic Resource Management?
- The bureau of land management and visual resource management—an overview
XML: View XML