Skip to Main Content
Terrestrial wetlandsAuthor(s): Randall Kolka; Carl Trettin; Wenwu Tang; Ken Krauss; Sheel Bansal; Judith Drexler; Kimberly Wickland; Rodney Chimner; Diana Hogan; Emily J. Pindilli; Brian Benscoter; Brian Tangen; Evan Kane; Scott Bridgham; Curtis Richardson
Source: In: Cavallaro, N.; Shrestha, G.; Birdsey, R.; Mayes, A.M.; Najjar, R.G.; Reed, S.C.; Romero-Lankao, P.; Zhu, Z, eds. Second state of the carbon cycle report (SOCCR2): A sustained assessment report. Washington, DC: U.S. Global Change Research Program: 507-567.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionThe objective of this chapter is to characterize the distribution of carbon stocks and fluxes in terrestrial wetlands within North America. The approach was to synthesize available literature from field measurements with analyses of resource inventory data to estimate wetland area, carbon stocks, and net ecosystem exchange (NEE) of carbon and methane (CH4) fluxes of terrestrial wetlands (see Appendices 13A, p. 547, and 13B, p. 557, for details1). Then, the findings employed from large-scale simulation studies provided additional context, with consideration given to the effects of disturbance regimes, restoration and creation of terrestrial wetlands, and the application of modeling tools to assess the carbon cycle of terrestrial wetlands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKolka, Randall; Trettin, Carl; Tang, Wenwu; Krauss, Ken; Bansal, Sheel; Drexler, Judith; Wickland, Kimberly; Chimner, Rodney; Hogan, Diana; Pindilli, Emily J.; Benscoter, Brian; Tangen, Brian; Kane, Evan; Bridgham, Scott; Richardson, Curtis. 2018. Terrestrial wetlands. In: Cavallaro, N.; Shrestha, G.; Birdsey, R.; Mayes, A.M.; Najjar, R.G.; Reed, S.C.; Romero-Lankao, P.; Zhu, Z, eds. Second state of the carbon cycle report (SOCCR2): A sustained assessment report. Washington, DC: U.S. Global Change Research Program: 507-567. [Chapter 13]. https://doi.org/10.7930/SOCCR2.2018.Ch13.
- Terrestrial wetlands
- Interactions of carbon and water cycles in north temperate wetlands: Modeling and observing the impact of a declining water table trend on regional biogeochemistry
- Carbon fluxes, evapotranspiration, and water use efficiency of terrestrial ecosystems in China
XML: View XML