Skip to Main Content
How we sample trees influences our assessment of climate change impacts on forestsAuthor(s): Stefan Klesse
Source: Nature: Ecology and Evolution. Online: https://natureecoevocommunity.nature.com/users/178449-stefan-klesse/posts/41747-how-we-sample-trees-influences-our-assessment-of-climate-change-impacts-on-forests.
Publication Series: Magazines or Trade Publications
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (443.0 KB)
DescriptionIt seems as though dire predictions of U.S. forest decline continue to roll off the presses. Even the Nation’s forest census, the USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program, has measured elevated levels of tree mortality in many forest types - mostly as a result of fires, drought, and insect outbreaks. However, in contrast to these indicators of decline, the FIA program also shows substantial regeneration and regrowth. In our recent paper (Klesse et al., 2018), we use a new network of tree-ring data collected in FIA plots to compare two predictions of forest decline, the first based on the forest inventory sample and the second based on a public tree-ring archive, the International Tree-Ring Data Bank (ITRDB). The result: how we sample trees makes a big difference in projected forest decline.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKlesse, Stefan. 2018. How we sample trees influences our assessment of climate change impacts on forests. Nature: Ecology and Evolution. Online: https://natureecoevocommunity.nature.com/users/178449-stefan-klesse/posts/41747-how-we-sample-trees-influences-our-assessment-of-climate-change-impacts-on-forests.
Keywordssample trees, forest decline, climate change, USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA)
- Sampling bias overestimates climate change impacts on forest growth in the southwestern United States
- Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-Ring Data set
- Feasibility of high-density climate reconstruction based on Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) collected tree-ring data
XML: View XML