Skip to Main Content
Ohio Forests 2016Author(s): Thomas A. Albright; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Tonya W. Lister; William H. McWilliams; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Rachel Riemann; James E. Smith; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-118. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 114 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (13.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report constitutes the third full report of annualized inventory on Ohio forest land and summarizes field data collected from 2011 through 2016. Ohio has 8.0 million acres of forest land containing 103 tree species and 50 forest types. Net cubic-foot and sawtimber volumes continued to increase, as did the area occupied by large diameter stands. Growing-stock volume remained stable overall, though it decreased 3 percent on private land since 2006. The net-growth-to-harvest-removals ratio dropped from 2.3:1 in 2011 to 1.6:1 in 2016. Invasive insects have had a substantial impact on Ohio's forests, particularly for ash species. Additional information on land-use change, fragmentation, ownership, forest composition, structure, age, carbon stocks, regeneration, invasive plants, insect pests, and the possible future of Ohio's forests is also presented. Sets of supplemental tables are available online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-118 and contain: 1) tables that summarize quality assurance and 2) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlbright, Thomas A.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lister, Tonya W.; McWilliams, William H.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Riemann, Rachel; Smith, James E.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2018. Ohio Forests 2016. Resour. Bull. NRS-118. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 114 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-118.
Keywordsinventory, land use, fragmentation, forest statistics, forest land, timberland, forest ownership, forest regeneration, volume, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, timber product, forest pest, invasive plant, Ohio
XML: View XML