Skip to Main Content
Influence of Hoop-Net Trap Diameter on Capture Success and Size Distribution of Comparatively Large and Small Freshwater TurtlesAuthor(s): Alissa L. Gulette; James Anderson; Donald J. Brown
Source: Northeastern Naturalist
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (352.0 KB)
DescriptionWe investigated the influence of hoop-net trap size on number and size of captures for comparatively large (Chelydra serpentina [Snapping Turtle]) and small (Chrysemys picta [Painted Turtle]) freshwater turtle species. We trapped turtles at 32 ponds throughout West Virginia in the summers of 2016 and 2017, with each pond sampled for 5 consecutive days using five 0.91-m–diameter and five 0.76-m–diameter baited hoop-net traps. We captured a total of 98 and 283 unique Snapping Turtles and Painted Turtles, respectively. Larger-diameter traps captured more Snapping Turtles and smaller-diameter traps captured more Painted Turtles. Mean carapace length was greater for both species in larger-diameter traps, but this result was possibly influenced by the ability of the smallest Painted Turtles to escape through the mesh of the larger traps. Our results indicate that hoop-net–trap diameter can substantially influence both number and size distribution of captures, and thus, trap size is an important sampling design consideration for freshwater turtle research and monitoring using hoop-net traps.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGulette, Alissa L.; Anderson, James T; Brown, Donald J. 2019. Influence of Hoop-Net Trap Diameter on Capture Success and Size Distribution of Comparatively Large and Small Freshwater Turtles. Northeastern Naturalist. 26(1): 129-136. https://doi.org/10.1656/045.026.0111.
- Influence of bait type on capture success of Clemmys guttata and Chrysemys picta using small hoop nets in shallow wetlands
- Aquatic Turtles Of Diversely Managed Watersheds in the Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas
- Responses of turtle assemblage to environmental gradients in the St. Croix River in Minnesota and Wisconsin, U.S.A.
XML: View XML