Skip to Main Content
Field performance of timber bridges. 10, Sanborn Brook stress-laminated deck bridgeAuthor(s): P. D. Hilbrich Lee; J. P. Wacker; M. A. Ritter
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-555):24 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Sanborn Brook bridge was constructed in August 1991, 10 miles northeast of Concord, New Hampshire, as part of the demonstration timber bridge program of the USDA Forest Service. The bridge is a simple-span, double-lane, stress-laminated deck superstructure constructed from Southern Pine lumber and is approximately 25 ft long and 28 ft wide with a skew of 14 degrees. The performance of the bridge was monitored continuously for approximately 2 years, beginning shortly after installation. Performance monitoring involved collecting and evaluating data pertaining to the moisture content of the wood deck, the force level of the stressing bars, the deck vertical creep, and the behavior of the bridge under static-load conditions. In addition, comprehensive visual inspections were conducted to assess the overall condition of the structure. Based on field evaluations, the bridge is performing well, with no structural or serviceability deficiencies.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHilbrich Lee, P. D.; Wacker, J. P.; Ritter, M. A. Field performance of timber bridges. 10, Sanborn Brook stress-laminated deck bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-555):24 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Performance, Stress lamination
- Field performance of timber bridges. 8, Lynches Woods Park stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 17, Ciphers stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML