Skip to Main Content
On the Shoulders of Giants: Continuing the Legacy of Large-Scale Ecosystem Manipulation Experiments in Puerto RicoAuthor(s): Tana Wood; Grizelle González; Whendee Silver; Sasha Reed; Molly Cavaleri
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThere is a long history of experimental research in the Luquillo Experimental Forest in Puerto Rico. These experiments have addressed questions about biotic thresholds, assessed why communities vary along natural gradients, and have explored forest responses to a range of both anthropogenic and non-anthropogenic disturbances. Combined, these studies cover many of the major disturbances that affect tropical forests around the world and span a wide range of topics, including the effects of forest thinning, ionizing radiation, hurricane disturbance, nitrogen deposition, drought, and global warming. These invaluable studies have greatly enhanced our understanding of tropical forest function under different disturbance regimes and informed the development of management strategies. Here we summarize the major field experiments that have occurred within the Luquillo Experimental Forest. Taken together, results from the major experiments conducted in the Luquillo Experimental Forest demonstrate a high resilience of Puerto Rico’s tropical forests to a variety of stressors.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWood, Tana; González, Grizelle; Silver, Whendee; Reed, Sasha; Cavaleri, Molly. 2019. On the Shoulders of Giants: Continuing the Legacy of Large-Scale Ecosystem Manipulation Experiments in Puerto Rico. Forests. 10(3): 210-. https://doi.org/10.3390/f10030210.
KeywordsLuquillo Experimental Forest, tropical, experiments, manipulations, large-scale, Puerto Rico, Caribbean
- A Student Guide to Tropical Forest Conservation
- Research in the Luquillo Experimental Forest has advanced understanding of tropical forests and resolved management issues
- Research History and Opportunities in the Luquillo Experimental Forest
XML: View XML