Skip to Main Content
U.S. Forest Service
Caring for the land and serving people

United States Department of Agriculture

Home > Search > Publication Information

  1. Share via EmailShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Twitter
    Dislike this pubLike this pub
    Author(s): Ufuk Cosgun; Ali Kavgaci; Cumhur Güngöroglu; Armando González-Cabán
    Date: 2019
    Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-261 (English). Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 96-97.
    Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
    Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
    PDF: Download Publication  (263.0 KB)

    Description

    The Mediterranean part of Turkey (Southern and Western Anatolia) is intensively subjected to forest fires. Within this region the Antalya province places first in terms of area burnt with an annual area of 2633 ha for the period of 2000-2009. Additionally, the biggest forest fire in the history of the Turkey Republic; with an area of about 15000 ha, occurred in Antalya in 2008. Because of the fire problem in this region special attention is given to forest fire management works in Antalya. This situation makes it necessary to observe and understand the structure of, and the reasons for, forest fire occurrence.

    Socioeconomic factors are relevant in determining the root causes forest fires. For example, for the years 2000-2009 only 11% of all fires in Turkey were classified as resulting from natural causes (i.e. lightning). The rest of the fires (89%) were classified as resulting from negligence, intentional, carelessness, accidental or unknown causes. The majority of causes are strictly related to socio-economic factors.

    The main goal of this work was to defining the relationships between forest fires and socio-economic factors in Antalya. The forests cover in Antalya is about one million hectares that are managed by twelve governmental forest enterprises. The socio-economic data used for the analysis in this work were obtained from those twelve enterprises. For the analysis we used a total 28 of socio-economic factors components for 3 periods: 1980-1990, 1990-2000, and 2000-2010; and fire statistics between the periods of 1980-2010. Panel Data was used for the Analyzes.

    Results show a significant correlation between area burnt and socioeconomic factors like the proportion of population working in agriculture and service sectors, unemployment rate, population and illegal cutting. Similarly, number of fires is statistically significantly correlated with the proportion of working population in the service sector, population, illegal cutting and grazing. The relevance of these socioeconomic factors is important for fire management in the region; and highlights the need to incorporate them in any new fire management policy for the region and the country.

    Publication Notes

    • You may send email to psw_communications@fs.fed.us to request a hard copy of this publication.
    • (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
    • We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
    • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.

    Citation

    Cosgun, Ufuk; Kavgaci, Ali; Güngöroglu, Cumhur; González-Cabán, Armando. 2019. Socioeconomic factors affecting forest fires: A case study of Antalya, Turkey [Abstract]. In: González-Cabán, Armando; Sánchez, José J., tech. eds. Proceedings of the fifth international symposium on fire economics, planning, and policy: ecosystem services and wildfires. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-261 (English). Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 96-97.

    Related Search


    XML: View XML
Show More
Show Fewer
Jump to Top of Page
https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/57677