Skip to Main Content
Scramble competition in the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalisAuthor(s): John D. Reeve; Douglas J. Rhodes; Peter Turchin
Source: Ecological Entomology 23: 433-443
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
Description1. The nature of intraspecific competition was investigated in the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis, a highly destructive pest of pine forests in the southern U.S.A.Date were analyzed from an observation study of naturally-attacked trees, and from field experiments where attack density was manipulated by adding different numbers of beetles to caged trees. 2. The effect of attack density on gallery construction, oviposition, brood survival, and the overall rate of increase was examined, and a flexible model of intraspecifc competition used to classify the type of competition (contest or scramble) at different points in the life cycle. 3. The results of these analyses suggest that contest competition occurs during gallery construction and oviposition, in accord with previous work on D. frontalis.Strong scramble competition occurs later on in development, however, and the overall competitive process is better characterized as scramble competition, similar to other bark beetles.Trees with attack densities sufficiently high to produce significant competition are common in the field.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReeve, John D.; Rhodes, Douglas J.; Turchin, Peter. 1998. Scramble competition in the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis. Ecological Entomology 23: 433-443
Keywordsbark beetles, intraspecific competition, Dendroctonus frontalis
- Southern Pine Beetle Competitors
- Southern Pine Beetle Population Dynamics in Trees
- Global and comparative protein profiles of the pronotum of the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis
XML: View XML