Skip to Main Content
U.S. Timber production, trade, consumption, and price statistics 1965-1997Author(s): James L. Howard
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-116):iv, 76 p. : ill., map ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (846 KB)
DescriptionThis report presents statistical information on production, trade, consumption, and prices of forest products in the United States. Although national statistics are dealt with for the most part, some statistics are given for regions, states, and Canada. The tables presented in this report contain information collected from industry trade associations and government agencies. Some of the tables show data that were derived from mathematical calculations, and some show conversions from different units of measurement. These data are intended for use by anyone associated with the wood using industry. One of the major uses of this data series is tracking technological change over time. One of the major technology shifts occurring in the wood using industry is the substitution of oriented strandboard for plywood in the structural panel sector. Some of the data show this shift. United States production of structural panels totaled 28.5 billion square feet in 1997. Oriented strandboard production increased from less than 3 billion square feet in 1985 to 10.5 billion square feet in 1997. Plywood production was 20.1 billion square feet in 1985 before falling to 17.9 billion square feet in 1997.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoward, James L. 1999. U.S. Timber production, trade, consumption, and price statistics 1965-1997. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-116):iv, 76 p. : ill., map ; 28 cm.
KeywordsForest products industries, Production, Timber trade, Consumption, Prices
- Status and trends : profile of structural panels in the United States and Canada
- U.S. timber production, trade, consumption, and price statistics, 1963-1994
- Wood-based panel plant locations and timber availability in selected U.S. states
XML: View XML