Skip to Main Content
Phylogenetic and morphological studies in Xylodon (Hymenochaetales, Basidiomycota) with the addition of four new speciesAuthor(s): Janett Riebesehl; Eugene Yurchenko; Karen K. Nakasone; Ewald Langer
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (8.0 MB)
DescriptionXylodon (Hymenochaetales, Basidiomycota) is the largest segregate genus of Hyphodontia s.l. Based on molecular and morphological data, 77 species are accepted in Xylodon to date. Phylogenetic analyses of ITS and 28S sequences, including 38 new ITS and 20 28S sequences of Xylodon species, revealed four species new to science. The new taxa X. exilis, X. filicinus, X. follis and X. pseudolanatus from Taiwan, Nepal, Réunion, Belize, and USA are described and illustrated. In addition, species concepts for Odontia vesiculosa from New Zealand and Xylodon lanatus from U.S.A. are revised and the new name X. vesiculosus is proposed. Phylogenetic analyses of the ITS region placed X. spathulatus, X. bubalinus and X. chinensis in a strongly supported clade and demonstrated that they are conspecific. Palifer and Odontiopsis are synonymised under Xylodon based on morphological and sequence data. The following new combinations are proposed: X. erikssonii, X. gamundiae, X. hjortstamii, X. hyphodontinus, X. septocystidiatus and X. verecundus. Line drawings of X. cystidiatus, X. hyphodontinus, X. lanatus and X. vesiculosus, as well as photographs of X. raduloides basidiomata, are provided. A key to X. lanatus and similar species is presented.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRiebesehl, Janett; Yurchenko, Eugene; Nakasone, Karen K.; Langer, Ewald. 2019. Phylogenetic and morphological studies in Xylodon (Hymenochaetales, Basidiomycota) with the addition of four new species. MycoKeys. 47: 97-137. https://doi.org/10.3897/mycokeys.47.31130.
KeywordsAgaricomycetes, corticioid fungi, Schizoporaceae, Schizopora, Odontia ambigua, Xylodon echinatus
- Armillaria mexicana, a newly described species from Mexico
- Coniophoropsis bambusicola sp. nov. (Coniophoraceae, Basidiomycota) from southern Vietnam
- Phylogeny and taxonomic revision of the Planistromellaceae including its coelomycetous anamorphs: contributions towards a monograph of the genus Kellermania
XML: View XML