Skip to Main Content
Living with wildfire in La Plata County, Colorado: 2015 data reportAuthor(s): Hannah Brenkert-Smith; James R. Meldrum; Pamela Wilson; Patricia A. Champ; Christopher M. Barth; Angela Boag
Source: Res. Note RMRS-RN-80. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 36 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionResidents in the wildland-urban interface (WUI) can play an important role in reducing wildfire’s negative effects by performing wildfire risk mitigation on their property. This report offers insight into the wildfire risk mitigation activities and related considerations, such as attitudes, experiences, and concern about wildfire, for people with homes in select communities in La Plata County, Colorado. Data come from a social survey and parcel-level rapid wildfire risk assessments administered by FireWise of Southwest Colorado. Results are presented both in graphical form and as detailed summary statistics (in appendices). As we recognize that results from similar surveys and assessments in other communities might differ, these linked datasets contribute to a broader effort to understand decisions about wildfire risk mitigation on private property. Results can facilitate long-term monitoring, management, and educational practices concerning the mitigation of wildfire risk in WUI communities.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrenkert-Smith, Hannah; Meldrum, James R.; Wilson, Pamela; Champ, Patricia A.; Barth, Christopher M.; Boag, Angela. 2019. Living with wildfire in La Plata County, Colorado: 2015 data report. Res. Note RMRS-RN-80. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 36 p.
Keywordswildland-urban interface, wildfire, community, Colorado, risk, wildfire research
- Living with Wildfire in Montezuma County, Colorado: 2015 Data Report
- Living with wildfire in Archeluta County, Colorado: 2015 data report
- Living with wildfire in Delta County, Colorado: cross-community comparisons
XML: View XML