Skip to Main Content
Fomitopsis mounceae and F. schrenkii —two new species from North America in the F. pinicola complexAuthor(s): John-Erich Haight; Karen K. Nakasone; Gary A. Laursen; Scott A. Redhead; D. Lee Taylor; Jessie A. Glaeser
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionTwo new species, Fomitopsis mounceae and F. schrenkii (Polyporales, Basidiomycota) in the F. pinicola species complex in North America, are described and illustrated. Previous molecular phylogenetic analyses identified three well-delimited lineages that represent F. mounceae and F. ochracea from Canada, the Appalachian Mountains, and the northern United States and F. schrenkii from western and southwestern regions of the United States. Fomitopsis pinicola sensu stricto is restricted to Eurasia and does not occur in North America. Morphological descriptions of basidiocarps and cultures for F. mounceae, F. schrenkii, and F. ochracea are presented. The three species are readily differentiated by nuc rDNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS1-5.8S-ITS2 = ITS) sequence, geographic distribution, and basidiospore size. Polyporus ponderosus H. Schrenk is an earlier illegitimate synonym of F. schrenkii. Both F. mounceae and F. schrenkii have a heterothallic multiallelic incompatibility system.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaight, John-Erich; Nakasone, Karen K.; Laursen, Gary A.; Redhead, Scott A.; Taylor, D. Lee; Glaeser, Jessie A. 2019. Fomitopsis mounceae and F. schrenkii —two new species from North America in the F. pinicola complex. Mycologia. 111(2): 339-357. https://doi.org/10.1080/00275514.2018.1564449.
KeywordsBasidiomycota, brown rot, Fomes pinicola, Fomitopsidaceae, 2 new taxa
- Phylogeny of Fomitopsis pinicola: A species complex
- Substrate-specific differential gene expression and RNA editing in the brown rot fungus Fomitopsis pinicola
- Phylogeny of Castanea (Fagaceae) based on chloroplast trnT-L-F sequence data
XML: View XML