Skip to Main Content
qPCR detection of Sturgeon chub (Macrhybopsis gelida) DNA in environmental samplesAuthor(s): Daniel H. Mason; Joseph C. Dysthe; Thomas W. Franklin; Joseph A. Skorupski; Michael K. Young; Kevin S. McKelvey; Michael K. Schwartz
Source: PLoS One. 13(12): e0209601.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (795.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Sturgeon chub (Macrhybopsis gelida) is a cyprinid fish native to the Missouri and Mississippi River basins of the U.S. Suspected long-term declines in the size of its distribution have prompted a review of its conservation status by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a process which depends on reliable methods to delineate the distribution and status of extant populations. To facilitate monitoring of Sturgeon chub populations, we developed a quantitative PCR assay to detect Sturgeon chub DNA in environmental samples. The assay consistently detected Sturgeon chub DNA in concentrations as low as 2 copies per reaction, and did not amplify DNA from non-target fish species that are sympatric in the upper Missouri River basin. Field tests of this assay with environmental samples successfully detected Sturgeon chub from sites known to be occupied. This assay offers an extremely sensitive methodology that can be applied to determine the range of Sturgeon chub, regardless of variation in habitat characteristics.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMason, Daniel H.; Dysthe, Joseph C.; Franklin, Thomas W.; Skorupski, Joseph A.; Young, Michael K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2018. qPCR detection of Sturgeon chub (Macrhybopsis gelida) DNA in environmental samples. PLoS One. 13(12): e0209601.
KeywordsSturgeon chub, Macrhybopsis gelida, qPCR detection, DNA, environmental samples
- Molecular detection of northern leatherside chub (Lepidomeda copei) DNA in environmental samples
- Quantitative PCR assays for detecting loach minnow (Rhinichthys cobitis) and spikedace (Meda fulgida) in the southwestern United States
- An environmental DNA assay for detecting Arctic grayling in the upper Missouri River basin, North America
XML: View XML