Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of cross-laminated timber resistance to termite attackAuthor(s): T.S.F.A. França; C.E. Stokes; J.D. Tang
Source: Proceedings of the American Wood Protection Association Annual Meeting. 114: 266-271
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionCross laminated timber (CLT) is a relatively recent addition to the North American timber construction market. CLT has been successfully used for construction in Europe and, in the past few years, manufacturers have looked forward to expanding the use of this product into the North American market. However, no termite susceptibility experiments have been published for the product and no standards exist for testing of the CLT and other mass timber products against termites. It is extremely important to evaluate the resistance to degradation of CLT, especially if the manufacturers are trying to implement this product in areas where the occurrence of termite infestation is high. The objective of this paper is to describe an ongoing project on evaluation of CLT resistance against subterranean termites in the southeastern United States. To date, results indicate that the material is susceptible to subterranean termite attack. In terms of testing and standard development, results suggested that it may be difficult to evaluate damage using conventional methods such as mass loss and visual rating, and more advanced imaging systems may give a more thorough evaluation of the material.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrança, T.S.F.A.; Stokes, C.E.; Tang, J.D. 2018. Evaluation of cross-laminated timber resistance to termite attack. Proceedings of the American Wood Protection Association Annual Meeting. 114: 266-271
KeywordsSubterranean termites, mass timber products, mass loss, visual rating
- Durability of cross laminated timber against termite damage
- Potential impact of subterranean termites on cross-laminated timber (CLT) in the Southeastern U.S
- Subterranean termites - their prevention and control in buildings
XML: View XML