Skip to Main Content
Semi-automated delineation of stands in an even-age dominated forest: A LiDAR-GEOBIA two-stage evaluation strategyAuthor(s): Nuria Sanchez-Lopez; Luigi Boschetti; Andrew T. Hudak
Source: Remote Sensing. 10: 1622.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionRegional scale maps of homogeneous forest stands are valued by forest managers and are of interest for landscape and ecological modelling. Research focused on stand delineation has substantially increased in the last decade thanks to the development of Geographic Object Based Image Analysis (GEOBIA). Nevertheless, studies focused on even-age dominated forests are still few and the proposed approaches are often heuristic, local, or lacking objective evaluation protocols. In this study, we present a two-stage evaluation strategy combining both unsupervised and supervised evaluation methods for semi-automatic delineation of forest stands at regional scales using Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) raster summary metrics. The methodology is demonstrated on two contiguous LiDAR datasets covering more than 54,000 ha in central Idaho, where clearcuts were a common harvesting method during the twentieth century. Results show good delineation of even-aged forests and demonstrate the ability of LiDAR to discriminate stands harvested more than 50 years ago, that are generally challenging to discriminate with optical data. The two-stage strategy reduces the reference data required within the supervised evaluation and increases the scope of a reliable semi-automatic delineation to larger areas. This is an objective and straightforward approach that could potentially be replicated and adapted to address other study needs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSanchez-Lopez, Nuria; Boschetti, Luigi; Hudak, Andrew T. 2018. Semi-automated delineation of stands in an even-age dominated forest: A LiDAR-GEOBIA two-stage evaluation strategy. Remote Sensing. 10: 1622.
KeywordsGEOBIA, LiDAR, forest stand delineation, even-aged, supervised evaluation, unsupervised evaluation
- Object-oriented classification of forest structure from light detection and ranging data for stand mapping
- Assessing forest windthrow damage using single-date, post-event airborne laser scanning data
- Layer stacking: A novel algorithm for individual forest tree segmentation from LiDAR point clouds
XML: View XML