Skip to Main Content
Introduction: The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning ProjectAuthor(s): David N. Bengston
Source: In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-4.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (356.0 KB)
DescriptionThe external environment in which forest planners, managers, and policymakers operate today is one of rapid, complex, and turbulent change. The broad social, economic, technological, and political contexts for forestry are constantly changing and the pace of change is accelerating (Steffen et al. 2015). The internal environment for forestry is also characterized by rapid and often surprising change, as new developments and emerging issues within the field continually appear and pose challenges for decisionmakers. To be effective in these changing internal and external contexts, forestry decisionmakers must anticipate emerging issues, trends, opportunities, and threats, and act proactively. They need to develop and apply strategic foresight: insight into how and why the future could be different from today (Lum 2016).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBengston, David N. 2019. Introduction: The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning Project. In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-4. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-Intro. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-Intro.
- The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project
- Scenarios to Provide Context for Horizon Scanning: Backcasting North American Forest Futures from 2090 to 2035
- Setting Up a Horizon Scanning System: A U.S. Federal Agency Example
XML: View XML