Skip to Main Content
Identifying Current USDA Forest Service Issues to Provide Context for Horizon ScanningAuthor(s): Kurt Callaway; Andy Hines; David N. Bengston
Source: In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 29-33.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (461.0 KB)
DescriptionA key purpose of the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning system is to identify weak signals of potential future change and emerging issues for the USDA Forest Service and its stakeholders. An understanding of current issues facing the agency is a prerequisite for identifying weak signals and emerging issues. Scanners who work for the Forest Service generally have this understanding, but scanners from outside typically have little or no familiarity with current agency issues. This paper briefly describes an effort to develop a list of current issues for the Forest Service to be used by scanners in the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Twelve broad current issues are identified and summarized.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCallaway, Kurt.; Hines, Andy.; Bengston, David N. 2019. Identifying Current USDA Forest Service Issues to Provide Context for Horizon Scanning. In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 29-33. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper4. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper4.
- Setting Up the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning System
- The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project
- An Innovative Method for Identifying Fruitful Scanning Sources for Forest Futures
XML: View XML