Skip to Main Content
Using the Implications Wheel in Horizon Scanning: Exploring Implications of Growing Apathy Toward the EnvironmentAuthor(s): David N. Bengston; Leif A. DeVaney; Michael J. Dockry; Andy Hines; George H. Kubik; Bo Roe; Maria Romero
Source: In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 34-41.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (458.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Implications Wheel® is a structured brainstorming technique to explore possible consequences of any type of change. This paper describes an exploratory application of the Implications Wheel method to uncover potential consequences of important emerging issues identified through horizon scanning. The issue "growing apathy toward the environment" was explored. We found that even a quick, small-scale application of the method can identify many useful insights: 155 implications were generated, including many scored as highly significant.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationBengston, David N.; DeVaney, Leif A.; Dockry, Michael J.; Hines, Andy; Kubik, George H.; Roe, Bo; Romero, Maria. 2019. Using the Implications Wheel in Horizon Scanning: Exploring Implications of Growing Apathy Toward the Environment. In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 34-41. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper5.
- Anticipating cascading change in land use: Exploring the implications of a major trend in US northern forests
- Exploration of a Horizon Scanning Trend: Growing Indigenous Empowerment
- The Futures Wheel: A method for exploring the implications of social-ecological change
XML: View XML