Skip to Main Content
Communicating Horizon ScanningAuthor(s): Andy Hines
Source: In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 62-66.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (507.0 KB)
DescriptionHorizon scanning produces a significant amount of information about potential change that may be on the horizon. To be useful for the intended audiences, this large volume of information must be sorted, condensed, analyzed, interpreted, and presented in formats that fit the needs of diverse users. This paper describes the various current and planned communication outputs of the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project, including the scanning library, blog posts about significant scanning hits or emerging themes, a periodic digest summarizing interesting scanning hits, detailed articles and technical reports, presentations to a wide range of audiences, and input to other strategic foresight projects. A possible additional output would be to offer focused scanning services on priority issues to groups within the USDA Forest Service.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHines, Andy. 2019. Communicating Horizon Scanning. In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 62-66.https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper8. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper8.
- Forest Futures: A Guide for Scanners
- Scenarios to Provide Context for Horizon Scanning: Backcasting North American Forest Futures from 2090 to 2035
- Connecting the Dots in the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning Database: An Initial Analysis
XML: View XML