Skip to Main Content
Forest Futures: A Guide for ScannersAuthor(s): Adam Cowart; Andy Hines; Kurt Callaway; David N. Bengston; Michael J. Dockry
Source: In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 67-80.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (679.0 KB)
DescriptionA clear and concise guide for volunteer scanners is essential for creating a rigorous, consistent, and sustainable horizon scanning system. The scanner guide written for the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning system is presented in its entirety. The guide includes an overview of the USDA Forest Service; an explanation of horizon scanning and its goals, uses, and stakeholders; a "how to" guide for installing and using the Web-based system for collecting scanning hits; a description of the domain map used in tagging scanning hits; and a quick guide to getting started in scanning.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCowart, Adam; Hines, Andy; Callaway, Kurt; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J. 2019. Forest Futures: A Guide for Scanners. In: Hines, Andy; Bengston, David N.; Dockry, Michael J., comps. The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-187. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 67-80. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-187-paper9. https://doi.org/10.2737NRS-GTR-P-187-paper9.
- Identifying Current USDA Forest Service Issues to Provide Context for Horizon Scanning
- Connecting the Dots in the Forest Futures Horizon Scanning Database: An Initial Analysis
- An Innovative Method for Identifying Fruitful Scanning Sources for Forest Futures
XML: View XML