Skip to Main Content
A proposed multi-agency program for stewardship scienceAuthor(s): Christian Giardina; Bruce Evan Goldstein; Morgan Grove; Lindsay K. Campbell; Erika Svendsen; Heather McMillen
Source: In: Campbell, Lindsay K.; Svendsen, Erika; Sonti, Nancy Falxa; Hines, Sarah J.; Maddox, David, eds. Green readiness, response, and recovery: A collaborative synthesis. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-185. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 324-339.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (119.0 KB)
DescriptionPoorly planned development, resource over-exploitation to feed expanding per capita consumption, and climate change interact to diminish native biodiversity, degrade natural resources, and compromise human well-being in urban and urbanizing environments. Because urban dwellers are expected to represent 60 percent of people on Earth by 2030 (UNFP 2007), these impacts are extensive. Innovative approaches to reducing impacts of urban living are being sought across the United States, providing compelling counter-examples of how communities are creatively meeting challenges by enhancing stewardship linkages between people and place. These complex exchanges have important implications for the resilience of coupled natural and human systems, especially regarding response to disturbances and disasters. To date, however, the science available for stewarding coupled urban systems lacks a national framework and coordinated operating environment.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGiardina, Christian; Goldstein, Bruce Evan; Grove, Morgan; Campbell, Lindsay K.; Svendsen, Erika; McMillen, Heather. 2019. A proposed multi-agency program for stewardship science. In: Campbell, Lindsay K.; Svendsen, Erika; Sonti, Nancy Falxa; Hines, Sarah J.; Maddox, David, eds. Green readiness, response, and recovery: A collaborative synthesis. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-185. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 324-339. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-185-paper22.
- Man's nature: innate determinants of response to natural environments
- Cultivating resilience: urban stewardship as a means to improving health and well-being
- Foreword: Invaluable resources
XML: View XML