Skip to Main Content
Field performance of timber bridges. 9, Big Erick`s stress-laminated deck bridgeAuthor(s): J. A. Kainz; J. P. Wacker; M. Nelson
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-552):24 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.9 MB)
DescriptionThe Big Erickas bridge was constructed during September 1992 in Baraga County, Michigan. The bridge is 72 ft long, 16 ft wide, and consists of three simple spans: two stress-laminated deck approach spans and a stress-laminated box center span. The bridge is unique in that it is one of the first known stress-laminated timber bridge applications to use Eastern Hemlock sawn lumber and a combination of stress-laminated decks and a stress-laminated box in a single bridge. Performance of the bridge was monitored for 35 months, beginning at the time of installation. Monitoring involved gathering and evaluating data relative to the moisture content of the wood components, the force level of stressing bars, and the behavior of the bridge under static-load conditions. In addition, comprehensive visual inspections were conducted to assess the overall condition of the structure. Based on field evaluations, the bridge is performing well, with only minor serviceability deficiencies.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKainz, J. A.; Wacker, J. P.; Nelson, M. Field performance of timber bridges. 9, Big Erick`s stress-laminated deck bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-552):24 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Performance, Stress lamination
- Field performance of timber bridges. 14, Dean, Hibbsville, and Decatur stress-laminated deck bridges
- Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML