Skip to Main Content
Washington’s forest resources, 2007–2016: 10-year Forest Inventory and Analysis reportAuthor(s): Marin Palmer; Olaf Kuegler; Glenn Christensen
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-976. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 79 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (13.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program reports on the status and trends of Washington’s forest resources, producing comprehensive updates every 5 years. This report provides detailed estimates of forest area, tree species composition and distribution, volume, biomass, carbon, standing dead trees and down wood, and understory vegetation on forest land for the state of Washington. It also includes estimates of annual growth, mortality, and removals on forest land. Estimates are based on inventory data collected on 6,112 forested FIA plots in Washington between 2007 and 2016. There are 22.5 million forested acres in Washington covering about half the state’s land area. Washington has 9.4 billion live trees on forest land that collectively represent 94.3 billion ft3 of net volume or 853.3 million Mg of carbon. The majority of this forest volume occurs on the moist west side of the state. Net change in volume on forest land was positive for all ownership groups in western Washington, but negative on National Forest System lands in eastern Washington, especially in wilderness areas. Statewide, net change in volume was 20 ft3 ac-1 yr-1 or a total addition to net volume of 415 million ft3 yr-1. Keywords: Biomass, carbon, dead wood, FIA, forest change, Forest Inventory and Analysis, forest land, inventory, timber volume, timberland, Washington.
Supplemental Download: Washington’s Forest Resources: 125 summary data tables
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPalmer, Marin; Kuegler, Olaf; Christensen, Glenn, tech. eds. 2019. Washington’s forest resources, 2007–2016: 10-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-976. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 79 p.
KeywordsBiomass, carbon, dead wood, FIA, forest change, Forest Inventory and Analysis, forest land, inventory, timber volume, timberland, Washington.
- Oregon’s forest resources, 2006–2015: Ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report
- Illinois' forest resources, 2005
- Wisconsin's forest resources, 2005
XML: View XML