Skip to Main Content
How to fight against southern pine beetle epidemics: An insurance approachAuthor(s): Xuan Chen; Barry K. Goodwin; Jeffrey P. Prestemon
Source: Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe southern pine beetle (SPB) is among the leading biological agents killing southern pine species in the eastern United States. In light of recognized spatiotemporal autocorrelation in SPB outbreaks, we devise a spatiotemporal block bootstrapping method that can be applied to analyze spatiotemporally dependent infestations. We also identify the relevant risk determinants and evaluate their impacts on the frequency of SPB outbreaks. For example, we find forest type, climate, and natural disasters like storm and forest management are all significantly associated with SPB risks. Using the results of a statistical model, we design a county-level group index insurance plan that generates estimates of actuarially fair premium rates for timber stands containing southern pine species. Given that no government-provided compensation scheme for SPB epidemics currently exists, application of this new insurance product could reduce forest owners losses. Our study offers an approach to analyzing and protecting against risks of other destructive pests affecting the timber sector.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Xuan; Goodwin, Barry K.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P. 2019. How to fight against southern pine beetle epidemics: An insurance approach. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie. 67(2): 193-213. https://doi.org/10.1111/cjag.12186.
Keywordsindex insurance, southern pine beetle, timber, spatiotemporal correlation
- Simulating the effects of the southern pine beetle on regional dynamics 60 years into the future
- Population Dynamics of Southern Pine Beetle in Forest Landscapes
- Southern pine beetles in central hardwood forests: frequency, spatial extent, and changes to forest structure
XML: View XML