Skip to Main Content
The forest resources of Illinois: an atlas and analysis of spatial and temporal trendsAuthor(s): Louis R. Iverson; Richard L. Oliver; Dennis P. Tucker; Paul G. Risser; Christopher D. Burnett; Ronald G. Rayburn
Source: Special Publ. 11. Urbana-Champaign, IL: Illinois Natural History Survey. 181 p.
Publication Series: Book
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (20.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Illinois Council on Forestry Development, formerly the Illinois Commission on Forestry Development, was created by the Forestry Development Act of 1983. Although the Act included a number of specific charges, its general objective was to provide for an evaluation of the forest resources and forest industry of Illinois. Of particular importance to the Forest Resource Analysis Committee of the Council was its mandate to "determine the magnitude, nature, and extent of the State's forestry resources." This book summarizes the Committee's evaluation of the forest resources of Illinois. As a basic working principle, the Committee acknowledged the need to assess the State's forest resources for purposes of management, development, and preservation. Given these diverse purposes, the Committee recognized the importance of collecting and summarizing existing data. Consequently, data were gathered from many sources, and a number of mathematical techniques were used in summarization. Throughout the project, attention was paid to the veracity of data and to reasonable boundaries for extrapolation. In addition, citations were included for all sources of data.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationIverson, Louis R.; Oliver, Richard L.; Tucker, Dennis P.; Risser, Paul G.; Burnett, Christopher D.; Rayburn, Ronald G. 1989. The forest resources of Illinois: an atlas and analysis of spatial and temporal trends. Special Publ. 11. Urbana-Champaign, IL: Illinois Natural History Survey. 181 p.
- Forest resource trends in Illinois
- Opportunities for addressing laminated root rot caused by Phellinus sulphuracens in Washington's forests: A Report from the Washington State Academy of Sciences in cooperation with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources
- Alabama invasive plant council: list of invasive plants by cultural use categories
XML: View XML