Skip to Main Content
Sawmill simulation and the best opening face system : a user`s guideAuthor(s): D. W. Lewis
Source: (General technical report FPL ; 48):29 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (598 KB)
DescriptionComputer sawmill simulation models are being used to increase lumber yield and improve management control. Although there are few managers or technical people in the sawmill industry who are not aware of the existence of these models, many do not realize the modelsa full potential. The first section of this paper describes computerized sawmill simulation models and their use for those who have an interest in the subject, but who will not necessarily be involved in their implementation. The areas of use discussed include management planning and decisionmaking, engineering, automated control systems, and evaluating operating efficiency. The second section details the Best Opening Face program (BOF), the most widely used of the sawmill models simulating the process of recovering dimension lumber from small-diameter, sound, softwood logs. The assumptions used in the program and the theoretical sawing process are discussed. The third section describes the mechanics and possible pitfalls of using BOF. The sawmill configuration simulated by BOF is controlled by data describing a particular mill and options which control the program flow. The appendices contain several formulas, examples of various BOF report formats, and a discussion of using BOF to simulate sawing metric-sized lumber.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLewis, D. W. 1985. Sawmill simulation and the best opening face system : a user`s guide. (General technical report FPL ; 48):29 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
KeywordsSawmilling, Simulation, Computers, Automation, Yields, Models, Systems analysis, Review article, Process control, Lumber recovery factor, Log breakdown, BOF
- Best opening face system for sweepy, eccentric logs : a user’s guide
- An integrated 3D log processing optimization system for small sawmills in central Appalachia
- Development of a 3D log sawing optimization system for small sawmills in central Appalachia, US
XML: View XML