Skip to Main Content
Nitrogen and phosphorus eutrophication in marine ecosystemsAuthor(s): L. Ngatia; J.M. Grace III; D. Moriasi; R. Taylor
Source: In: Monitoring of marine pollution. (IntechOpen)
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionNitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) eutrophication in marine ecosystems is a global problem. Marine eutrophication has a negative impact on food security, ecosystem health and economy through disruptions in tourism, fisheries and health industries. Both N and P have known point and non-point sources. Control of point sources has been easier than non-point sources particularly agricultural sources for both N and P as well as fossil fuel combustion for N, which remains a major challenge. Implementing mitigation strategies for N has been reported to be effective for P mitigation; however, the converse is not true due to mobility and volatility of N. Excessive N and P cause algae blooms, anoxic conditions, and ocean acidification with these conditions leading to dead zones, fish kill, toxin production, altered plant species diversity, food web disruption, tourism disruption and health issues. Management of N and P pollution includes reduction of leaching from farms through crop selection, timely and precise application of fertilizer and building artificial wetlands, proper management of animal waste, reduction of fossil fuel N emission, mitigating N and P from urban sources and restoration of aquatic ecosystem. Mitigation measures need to focus on dual nutrient strategy for successful N and P reduction.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNgatia, L.; Grace III, J.M.; Moriasi, D.; Taylor, R. 2019. Nitrogen and phosphorus eutrophication in marine ecosystems. In: Monitoring of marine pollution. IntechOpen
Keywordsagriculture, eutrophication, marine, mitigation, nitrogen, phosphorus, pollution
- Phosphorus eutrophication and mitigation strategies
- Biochar phosphorus sorption-desorption: Potential phosphorus eutrophication mitigation strategy
- Effects of climatic variability and change on forest ecosystems: a comprehensive science synthesis for the U.S
XML: View XML