Steric effects of bulky tethered arylpiperazines on the reactivity of Co-Schiff base oxidation catalysts—a synthetic and computational studyAuthor(s): Rebecca E. Key; Thomas Elder; Joseph J. Bozell
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionNew C2-symmetric and C2-asymmetric Co-Schiff base catalysts tethered to arylpiperazine units were synthesized and used to oxidize phenolic lignin models to para-benzoquinones. Synthetic approaches to these catalysts were optimized to include fewer steps and broaden the types of catalyst structures available. In contrast to conventional Co-Schiff base catalysts, these systems induce phenolic oxidation in the absence of an external axial base, simplifying the process. Asymmetric catalysts bearing a phenylethylene or diphenylmethyl piperazine substituent display the highest catalytic activity observed to date for the conversion of S-models to 2,6-dimethoxybenzoquinone (DMBQ). Computational analysis shows that more reactive catalysts populate conformations that favor oxidation in preference to non-productive decomposition routes. This balance between catalyst reactivity and catalyst deactivation is optimized by inclusion of sufficient steric bulk around the periphery of the Schiff base ligand, reducing catalyst deactivation and allowing oxidations to proceed in the absence of an added axial ligand.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationKey, Rebecca E.; Elder, Thomas; Bozell, Joseph J. 2019. Steric effects of bulky tethered arylpiperazines on the reactivity of Co-Schiff base oxidation catalysts—a synthetic and computational study. Tetrahedron. 75(23): 3118-3127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2019.04.059.
KeywordsPhenolic oxidation, Lignin, Lignin models, Arylpiperazine base tethers, Co-Schiff base, Renewable carbon
- Deactivation of Co-Schiff base catalysts in the oxidation of para -substituted lignin models for the production of benzoquinones
- Steric effects in the design of Co-Schiff base complexes for the catalytic oxidation of lignin models to para-benzoquinones
- The effect of axial ligand on the oxidation of syringyl alcohol by Co(salen) adducts
XML: View XML