Skip to Main Content
Social networking: finding ways to incorporate social media into the forest products industryAuthor(s): Iris B. Montague
Source: Hardwood Matters: September 2010: 8-15.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (787.0 KB)
DescriptionIn the past two decades, the Internet has become a very important tool: it has changed the way we obtain information, the way we communicate, and even the way we conduct business. Today, 24 percent of all Americans have three or more computers in the home and Americans spend an average of 19 hours online each week. In addition to the fact that the Internet plays a huge role in people's lives, businesses all over the world have embraced the Internet and are using this technology to enhance business activities and productivity. One newer Internet trend, social media networking, allows people to maintain their social relationships. In a recent study, 52 percent of Internet users stated that the Internet was important or very important in helping them maintain their social relationships (www.digitalcenter.org). Social networking also has given businesses the ability to develop "social" relationships with their customers. Businesses can be "up close and personal" with myriad consumers – a connection that was not possible before the introduction of the Internet and social media.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMontague, Iris B. 2010. Social networking: finding ways to incorporate social media into the forest products industry. Hardwood Matters: September 2010: 8-15.
- Social network media in the forest products industry: A look at a new way of marketing
- Social media use in the wood products industry: Impact on the consumer purchasing process
- Forest Products Industry in a Digital Age: A Look at E-Commerce and Social Media
XML: View XML