Skip to Main Content
A Comprehensive Inventory of Protected Areas and other Land Conservation Mechanisms in Puerto RicoAuthor(s): Jessica Castro-Prieto; William Gould; Coralys Ortiz-Maldonado; Sandra Soto-Bayó; Ivan Llerandi-Román; Soledad Gaztambide-Arandes; Maya Quinones; Marcela Cañón; Kasey R Jacobs
Source: General Technical Report
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: Download Publication (167.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
A Comprehensive Inventory of Protected Areas and other Land Conservation Mechanisms in Puerto Rico.
DescriptionGeospatial inventories of protected areas and information regarding additional conservation mechanisms that were established to protect natural resources are useful in evaluating conservation effectiveness and supporting conservation planning at broader scales. The lack of a single inventory and common terminology among stakeholders in Puerto Rico was identified as a major limitation in planning and monitoring conservation effectiveness across the island. This report describes the multiagency/organization effort to facilitate communication among managers and stakeholders of protected areas toward an integrated system for the conservation of natural and cultural resources in Puerto Rico.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCastro-Prieto, Jessica; Gould, William A.; Ortiz-Maldonado, Coralys; Soto-Bayó, Sandra; Llerandi-Román, Ivan, Gaztambide-Arandes, Soledad; Quiñones, Maya; Cañón, Marcela; Jacobs, Kasey R. 2019. A Comprehensive Inventory of Protected Areas and other Land Conservation Mechanisms in Puerto Rico. Gen. Tech. Report IITF-GTR-50. San Juan, PR: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, International Institute of Tropical Forestry.161 p.
KeywordsGeospatial, Protected Areas, Conservation, Natural Resources, Puerto Rico.
- Las Cabezas de San Juan, Nature Reserve (El Faro).
- Guide to the ecological systems of Puerto Rico
- The Puerto Rico Gap Analysis Project Volume 1: land cover, vertebrate species distributions, and land stewardship
XML: View XML