Stocked rainbow trout ( Oncorhynchus mykiss ) affect space use by Warpaint Shiners ( Luxilus coccogenis )Author(s): Duncan Elkins; Nathan P. Nibbelink; Gary D. Grossman
Source: Ecology of Freshwater Fish
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (643.0 KB)
Due to widespread stocking, Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum) are perhaps the most widely distributed invasive species in the world. Nonetheless, little is known about the effects of stocked Rainbow Trout on native non‐game species. We conducted experiments in an artificial stream to assess the effects of hatchery Rainbow Trout on home range and behaviour of Warpaint Shiners (Luxilus coccogenis Cope), a common minnow frequently found in stocked Southern Appalachian streams. We used the LoCoH algorithm to generate polygons describing the home ranges used by Warpaint Shiners. When a stocked trout was present Warpaint Shiners: (a) increased home range size by 57%, (b) were displaced into higher velocity mesohabitats, and (c) reduced mean overlap between the home ranges of individual warpaint shiners. Rainbow Trout did not significantly affect the edge/area ratio of Warpaint Shiner home ranges. Warpaint Shiner density (two and five fish treatments) did not significantly affect any response variable. Displacement from preferred microhabitats and increases in home range size likely result in increased energy expenditure and exposure to potential predators (i.e., decreased individual fitness) of Warpaint Shiners when stocked trout are present.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationElkins, Duncan; Nibbelink, Nathan P.; Grossman, Gary D. 2018. Stocked rainbow trout ( Oncorhynchus mykiss ) affect space use by Warpaint Shiners ( Luxilus coccogenis ) . Ecology of Freshwater Fish. 28(1): 167-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/eff.12440.
KeywordsBiodiversity, cyprinidae, interspecific competition, LoCoH, minnow, social behavior, spatial relations
- Should I stay or should I go? Understanding the shapeshifting rainbow trout/steelhead
- Biological characteristics and population status of steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in southeast Alaska.
- Temperature-dependent interactions between juvenile steelhead and Sacramento pikeminnow in laboratory streams
XML: View XML