Skip to Main Content
Quality drying of softwood lumber : guidebook - checklistAuthor(s): M. R. Milota; J. D. Danielson; R. S. Boone; D. W. Huber
Source: (General technical report FPL ; IMP-GTR-1):50 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (178 KB)
DescriptionThe IMPROVE Lumber Drying Program is intended to increase awareness of the lumber drying system as a critical component in the manufacture of quality lumber. One objective of the program is to provide easy-to-use tools that a kiln operator can use to maintain an efficient kiln operation and therefore contribute to lumber drying quality. This report is one component of the IMPROVE Program. It contains a guidebook1checklist for drying quality softwood that kiln operators or management can use to readily evaluate how well their operations rate on those factors that most strongly affect drying quality, with particular emphasis on kiln operation and maintenance and lumber handling. Appendix 1 contains a summary checklist for easy duplication and filing. Appendix 2 contains the same checklist items; however, the information is arranged by drying system components for convenience in checking individual components.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMilota, M. R.; Danielson, J. D.; Boone, R. S.; Huber, D. W. Quality drying of softwood lumber : guidebook - checklist. (General technical report FPL ; IMP-GTR-1):50 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
KeywordsDrying, Stacking, Softwoods, Wood defects, Lumber, Kilns, Handbooks, Seasoning
- Quality drying of hardwood lumber : guidebook -- checklist
- Quality drying in a hardwood lumber predryer : guidebook--checklist
- Dry kiln operator's manual
XML: View XML