Skip to Main Content
T-section glulam timber bridge modules : modeling and performanceAuthor(s): Paul A. Morgan; Steven E. Taylor; Michael A. Ritter; John M. Franklin
Source: 1999 ASAE/CSAE-SCGR annual international meeting : emerging technologies for the 21st century ; Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 18-21, 1999. St. Joseph, MI : American Society of Agricultural Engineers, .:22 p. : ill.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (171 KB)
DescriptionThis paper describes the design, modeling, and testing of two portable timber bridges, each consisting of two noninterconnected longitudinal glued-laminated timber (glulam) deck panels 1.8 m (6 ft) wide. One bridge is 12.2 m (40 ft) long while the other bridge is 10.7 m (35 ft) long. The deck panels are fabricated in a unique double-tee cross section. The bridges exhibited linear elastic behavior in static bending tests. When actual lumber property data were used in transformed section and finite element models, the models overpredicted the stiffness of the bridge panels. The transformed section results provided the best agreement with test results. The bridges were cost effective and although some damaged occurred to the bridge modules during their removal, they have functioned well overall.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorgan, Paul A.; Taylor, Steven E.; Ritter, Michael A.; Franklin, John M. 1999. T-section glulam timber bridge modules : modeling and performance. 1999 ASAE/CSAE-SCGR annual international meeting : emerging technologies for the 21st century ; Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 18-21, 1999. St. Joseph, MI : American Society of Agricultural Engineers, .:22 p. : ill.
KeywordsBridges, Laminated wood, Composite wood assemblies, Models, Design, Performance, Stiffness
- Live load distribution on longitudinal glued-laminated timber deck bridges : final report : conclusions and recommendations
- Field performance of timber bridges. 17, Ciphers stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 13, Mohawk Canal stress-laminated bridge
XML: View XML