Skip to Main Content
Validation of the Unit Stream Power Erosion and Deposition (USPED) Model at Yakima Training Center, WashingtonAuthor(s): Steven D. Warren; Thomas S. Ruzycki; Robert Vaughan; Peter E. Nissen
Source: Northwest Science. 92(5): 338-345.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionDuring the last seventy years, numerous models have been developed to predict soil erosion; some models also predict concomitant sediment deposition. All have been proven inadequate and/or inaccurate in one respect or another. This paper discusses the application of the new-generation Unit Stream Power Erosion and Deposition (USPED) model at the US Army’s Yakima Training Center (YTC), Washington. We incorporated a novel approach that compares model results with observed soil erosion and sediment deposition across the landscape in a spatially distributed fashion. The model results matched visually estimated values 90% of the time, providing an encouraging validation of the model. Historically, erosion models have been compared with sediment outflow from watersheds, providing no information regarding sources and sinks of erosion and deposition within watersheds. The USPED model is relatively simple to apply and the validation approach provides information in terms of the intensity and spatial distribution of soil erosion and sediment deposition that can be used to optimize the placement and size of soil erosion and sediment control efforts.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWarren, Steven D.; Ruzycki, Thomas S.; Vaughan, Robert; Nissen, Peter E. 2019. Validation of the Unit Stream Power Erosion and Deposition (USPED) Model at Yakima Training Center, Washington. Northwest Science. 92(5): 338-345.
Keywordsaccuracy assessment, sediment deposition, soil erosion, USPED model, Yakima Training Center
- Application of the unit stream power erosion and deposition model at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida
- Annotated bibliography on soil erosion and erosion control in subarctic and high-latitude regions of North America.
- Soil erosion in humid regions: a review
XML: View XML