Skip to Main Content
Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridgeAuthor(s): M. A. Ritter; J. A. Kainz; G. J. Porter
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-547):15 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (876 KB)
DescriptionThe Little Salmon Creek bridge was constructed in November 1988 on the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania. The bridge is a simple span, single-lane, stress-laminated deck superstructure that is approximately 26-ft long and 16-ft wide. The bridge is unique in that it is the first known stress-laminated timber bridge to be constructed of hardwood lumber. The performance of the bridge was monitored continuously for approximately 4 years, beginning at the time of installation. Performance monitoring involved gathering and evaluating data relative to the moisture content of the wood deck, the force level of stressing bars, the deck vertical creep, and the behavior of the bridge under static-load conditions. In addition, comprehensive visual inspections were conducted to assess the overall condition of the structure. Based on field evaluations, the bridge is performing well with no structural deficiencies, although the bridge has developed a slight sag as a result of vertical creep.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRitter, M. A.; Kainz, J. A.; Porter, G. J. Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-547):15 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Pennsylvania, Stress lamination
- Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 13, Mohawk Canal stress-laminated bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 10, Sanborn Brook stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML