Skip to Main Content
USDA Forest Service section, subsection, and landtype descriptions for southeastern OhioAuthor(s): Louis R. Iverson; Jarel L. Bartig; Gregory J. Nowacki; Matthew P. Peters; James M. Dyer; Todd F. Hutchinson; Stephen N. Matthews; Bryce T. Adams
Source: Research Map NRS-10. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 68 p.
Publication Series: Research Map (RMAP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (15.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Defining and Mapping Landtypes to Encourage Shared Stewardship and Oak Management in Southeastern Ohio
DescriptionThe classification, mapping, and description of ecosystems are fundamental components of land management. The National Hierarchical Framework of Ecological Units (Cleland et al. 1997) provides the basis for the USDA Forest Service to accomplish these tasks. This framework allows the recognition of ecosystems or ecological units at eight spatial scales within a nested hierarchy. The highest levels of ecological units have been delineated nationally from domains through subsections. Our project, described here, is an extension of this national effort and concentrates on the local mapping and description of ecological landtypes, the seventh level of the hierarchy. It is envisioned that the results of this project will serve the Wayne National Forest in Ohio and its partners in many ways. This work provides an ecological basis by which future land management plans can be developed and executed. It helps give direction to silvicultural activities designed to maintain ecological sustainability, biological diversity, and local economies. It also informs research by distinguishing different ecosystems for experimental design and spatial extrapolation of findings. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RMAP-10.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationIverson, Louis R.; Bartig, Jarel L.; Nowacki, Gregory J.; Peters, Matthew P.; Dyer, James M.; Hutchinson, Todd F.; Matthews, Stephen N.; Adams, Bryce T. 2019. USDA Forest Service section, subsection, and landtype descriptions for southeastern Ohio. Research Map NRS-10. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 68 p. [Printed map included]. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RMAP-10.
KeywordsNational Hierarchical Framework of Ecological Units, landtype, southeastern Ohio, Section 221E, Wayne National Forest
- Landtype associations of the Northern Region 1997: A first approximation
- Ecological modeling for forest management in the Shawnee National Forest
- New GIS approaches to wild land mapping in Europe
XML: View XML